LPSD is excited to welcome back our students and staff this fall. View our Reopening LPSD Schools Plan for how we plan to keep safety and wellness a priority.
Letter from Director of Education, Todd Robinson, introducing the plan:
August 6, 2020.
Dear Parents, Guardians and Students,
I hope everyone is having a safe, healthy and enjoyable summer! August has arrived and with it a great deal of interest and attention is now being given to how schools in Saskatchewan will reopen in September. Like other School Divisions, LPSD has been busy behind the scenes creating the “Reopening LPSD Schools Plan” that will guide the safe reentry of our students and staff to our facilities.
On June 18th, the Sasktatchewan Government provided school divisions with broad parameters to guide the creation of our local plans. In addition to this direction, we reached out to our parents, staff and school administrators to capture thoughts on considerations that must be made to ensure a safe reentry to school. This feedback and direction was used to create a “draft” plan which was submitted to the Ministry of Education and the Provincial Response Planning Team at the end of June for review and approval. The ministry and RPT reviewed all school division plans and provided recommendations to each Saskatchewan school division. After a few minor additions, the Reopening LPSD Schools Plan has been approved and we are ready to share it with our stakeholders.
Although there is a great deal of commonality between school division plans, local and provincial rates of community transmission will dictate what precautions are required in each community or school.
The Pandemic has taught us all to be flexible and patient as circumstances and plans often change due to new and emerging evidence about Covid 19. I am certain that the weeks and months ahead will be no different. LPSD will continue to take direction from the Chief Medical Health Officer in Saskatchewan and is committed to keeping the safety and wellness of our students and staff as our first priority.
The Reopening LPSD Schools Plan provides school administrators with a great deal of direction on how schools must be planned and organized for the 2020/2021 school year. Each school within LPSD will be developing an individual plan that will be shared with their school community during the last week of August outlining site specific logistics that you will need to be aware of prior to your child’s arrival at school on September 1st.
Regardless of where your child attends school, you will notice some changes in September. The following strategies will be in place in all LPSD schools to ensure the safety of staff and students:
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing protocols for all areas of the school, washrooms and high touch surfaces will be cleaned multiple times each day and regularly scheduled deep cleaning will occur when students are not present in the school.
- There will be a strict stay at home policy for any students or staff who may be presenting symptoms of Covid-19. Parents will be asked to keep their children at home if they display any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Physical distancing recommendations will be enforced when possible.
- Personal Protective Equipment and supplies have been secured and will be implemented when required. Staff will be provided with reusable non-medical masks to be used at their discretion and parents/guardians have the option of having their child wear a mask at any time.
- As much as possible, groups of students will be assigned to cohorts which means they remain together for most of the day and will not mix with other groups.
- Drop off/pick up times will be staggered or organized in a way to limit contact between cohorts as much as possible.
- Public access to schools will be limited to essential school business and schools will document all visitors to assist with any contact tracing initiated by public health should the need arise.
- Hand hygiene expectations will be enforced when entering and exiting the school or classrooms.
- Signage will be in place to remind students and staff of the importance of respiratory and hygiene etiquette (e.g. cough or sneeze into your elbow, avoid touching your face, sanitize or clean hands regularly)
- Use of shared items or equipment is to be avoided where possible.
- Students should bring only essential supplies to school.
- There will be traffic flow aides on the floor to assist with proper physical distancing.
- Currently all field trips or activities requiring group transportation are postponed until further notice.
- Additionally, all large gatherings such as assemblies must be held virtually or are postponed until further notice.
- There are procedures in place to address staff or students who develop symptoms while at school, including isolating the symptomatic person until they are able to be picked up.
Please take some time to read through the Reopening LPSD Schools Plan. Division plans will continue to evolve as required by the evolution of Covid-19 within our province and city. We are all in uncharted territory, but we are in this together! Although the above changes are significant, LPSD is committed to the creation of a learning environment that is not only safe but engaging, an environment where all students have the opportunity to achieve personal excellence!
If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s return to school or are interested in a remote learning option please feel free to reach out to us by email at email@example.com or by calling our Division Office at 780-875-5541.
Director of Education