Parents are asked to apply for admission each year they wish their child to attend.
Prekindergarten programs were developed in Saskatchewan to provide early educational supports for children aged 3 and 4 to lay the foundation for school success. Prekindergarten focuses on the development of the whole child - social, emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual development.
Children are provided with opportunities to develop language and social skills through active learning and play. Daily activities are child-centered, choice-driven and language-rich. Children must be 3 by the end of September to be eligible.
In Lloydminster Public School Division (LPSD), Prekindergarten classes are held Mondays through Thursdays for two and a half hours.
LPSD Prekindergarten applications for the 2020-21 school year will be accepted beginning March 23. Applications are available online. You can click here to download the form (the form is now fillable so please save it to your computer, fill it in and submit it). Please submit your form by email to email@example.com
If your child attended Prekindergarten in the 2019/2020 school year and they are not age-eligible for Kindergarten and you would like them to continue in Prekindergarten, you must fill out a reapplication form. Please click here to download the reapplication form.
Consideration for Prekindergarten is based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. Submitting an application does not guarantee admittance.
Parents will be notified during the week of June 8-12 to let them know whether their child has been accepted or placed on a waitlist. Please see below to view the Criteria for Admission.
Criteria for Admission:
- Low family income
- Single parent homes
- Teen parent(s)
- Family abuse/neglect
- Alcohol/drug abuse in the family
- Parents have less than a high school education
- Family isolation
- Frequent parent absence
- Physical/mental health of parent(s) affects the family
- Child experiences communication/language delays
- Non-English mother tongue in the home
- Children must be three years old by Sept. 30 and reside within the LPSD attendance area to be eligible for admission to Prekindergarten
- Children who will be five years old by Dec. 31 are age-appropriate for Kindergarten.
Program Focus for Prekindergarten programs:
- Foster social development and self-esteem
- Nurture educational growth and school success
- Promote language development
- A developmentally-appropriate educational program based on Saskatchewan’s Play and Exploration Early Learning Program Guide.
- Active, experiential learning through play
- Child-centered, self-directed activities with choice
- Small class sizes
- Family engagement
- Learning environments that respond to the cultures, abilities and interests of children
- One teacher and one assistant responsible for each class
- Half day classes (two and a half hours in length), Monday through Thursday
- Transportation provided within the city limits
Click here to download the Prekindergarten application form.
Or visit your neighbourhood elementary school to pick up a copy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How many children will be in my child's class?
A: Class sizes in Prekindergarten are limited to 16 children.
Q: Is there any cost for Prekindergarten?
A: There is no fee to Participate in LPSD's Prekindergarten program.
Q: Are all children who apply accepted into Prekindergarten?
A: Prekindergarten is a needs based program. Students are accepted into the program based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. See the "Criteria" section for more information
Q: How often will my child attend classes?
A: Beginning in 2016-17, classes will be held Monday through Thursday for two and a half hours each.
For more information about LPSD's Prekindergarten program,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Junior kindergarten offers learning, language, experiential, and play opportunities based on the philosophy of prekindergarten and best practices for early learning. LPSD now offers junior kindergarten programming at Barr Colony School.
LPSD junior kindergarten registration is now open to students residing either within or outside of the LPSD attendance boundaries! Please note that parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from our school as no busing is provided. Effective 2020, the fee for junior kindergarten is $100 per month, which includes all class time and supplies. Fee schedules and structure will be managed at the school level. Please fill out both the school registration form and the junior kindergarten student information form. The school registration form is specific to Barr Colony school and will be submitted automatically upon filling it out and hitting submit. Please note that both forms must be completed and submitted prior to your child being placed on our list. The junior kindergarten student information form is to be filled out and submitted by email to email@example.com. We look forward to welcoming students to junior kindergarten when schools reopen.
- Ratio of one staff for every 10 children
- Children attend up to five hours per week
- Children will attend either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday, in the AM class or PM class.
- AM classes take place at: 8:45—11:15 AM
- PM classes take place at 12:00 PM—2:30 PM
- Junior Kindergarten serves children who are 4-years-old by the end of December
- Children who are 5-years-old by the end of December will be registered in Kindergarten
- Families will be asked to arrange transportation to the program
Click here to learn more about Barr Colony School.
Register your child for Kindergarten at your neighbourhood school
Please see the following attendance area map to view the school boundaries to determine which elementary school your child will attend.
Children who will be five years old by Dec. 31 are age-appropriate for Kindergarten.
Parent choice for Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes or Tuesday/Thursday/Friday classes
ALL of our educators are highly trained in early years teaching and child development.
- Child Centered
- Parent Involvement
- Class Size
- Kindergarten French
- Technology utilization for both instruction and child learning(iPod, SMARTBoard, PC)
- LPSD employed speech/language pathologists
- LPSD occupational therapist
- culturally infused learning opportunities
- Experiential and hands on learning based
- Early Literacy Program
- Community based experiences
- Character education