General Administration 155
The Director has been given the responsibility to ensure positive external and internal communications are developed and maintained. Proper protocol is to be followed for events organized by the Board or its schools.
Protocols will vary from one situation to another, depending on who is involved in the particular event. Accordingly, in the planning for an event, the order of introductions and speakers must be given special attention.
- At the start of every hosted public event, community special event or significant school/division event the Master/Mistress of Ceremonies should begin the event with a recognition of the traditional treaty territory that the event is taking place on. Administrative Procedure 154 - Treaty 6 Acknowledgement includes the proper Treaty 6 Acknowledgement Statement that should be used.
- When organizing a public event at which dignitaries are present, introduce the most senior dignitaries first:
- Members of the Senate representing Saskatchewan/Alberta
- MPs (cabinet members first)
- MLAs (cabinet members first)
- Board Chair and trustees
- Mayor and councilors
- Senior bureaucrats and heads of other organizations
- Prominent community members
- When organizing an internal event within the schools of Division, the introductions will take place in the following order:
- Board Chair
- Vice Chair
- Trustees in attendance
- Superintendents in attendance
- Principal, Vice Principal
- When organizing the order of speakers, protocols dictate that the most senior dignitary speaks last.
- Seating is to be arranged so that the most senior dignitary is closest to the podium at all times.
- Trustees are to be introduced at all times.
- Provision is to be made for trustees and other important guests to be greeted by staff or students.
- As audience members, dignitaries are to be provided with reserved seating in the front row.
- Invitations to trustees are to be issued by an individual invitation to the Division Office. The role and expectation is to be defined in the invitation.
- Provisions for parking are to be made for dignitaries and trustees when possible.
- When possible Trustees are to be notified at least two weeks prior to the event.
- The Director is to be contacted if a speaker is required at the Board or Division level.
- The trustee invitation and Division Office notice is to indicate who will serve as the Master/Mistress of Ceremonies.
- When no trustee is available to attend, the MC will be advised to express regrets on behalf of the Board.
- For assistance, contact the Office of the Director.
Section 85, 87 Education Act
Section 38, The School Division Administration Regulations
April 14, 2009