Prekindergarten programs were developed in Saskatchewan to provide early educational supports for children aged 3 and 4 to lay the foundation for school success.
Consideration for Prekindergarten is based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. Submitting an application does not guarantee admittance.
Criteria for Admission:
- Low family income
- Single parent homes
- Teen parent(s)
- Family abuse/neglect
- Alcohol/drug abuse in the family
- Parents have less than a high school education
- Family isolation
- Frequent parent absence
- Physical/mental health of parent(s) affects the family
- Child experiences communication/language delays
- Non-English mother tongue in the home
Program Focus for Prekindergarten programs:
Prekindergarten focuses on the development of the whole child - social, emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual development. Children are provided with opportunities to develop language and social skills through active learning and play. Daily activities are child-centered, choice-driven and language-rich.
- A developmentally-appropriate educational program based on Saskatchewan’s Play and Exploration Early Learning Program Guide.
- Active, experiential learning through play
- Child-centered, self-directed activities with choice
- Small class sizes
- Family engagement
- Learning environments that respond to the cultures, abilities and interests of children
- One teacher and one assistant responsible for each class
Important things to know about the program:
- Classes are held at Barr Colony School
- Class sizes in Prekindergarten are limited to 16 children.
- There is no fee to Participate in LPSD's Prekindergarten program.
- Prekindergarten is a needs based program. Students are accepted into the program based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. See the "Criteria" section for more information
- Children must be 3 years old by Sept. 30 and reside within the LPSD attendance area to be eligible for admission to Prekindergarten
- Transportation provided within the city limits
- Children who will be five years old by Dec. 31 are age-appropriate for Kindergarten.
- Classes will be held Monday through Thursday for two hours each.
- LPSD Prekindergarten applications for the 2021-2022 school year are now being accepted
- If your child attended Prekindergarten in the 2020/2021 school year and they are not age-eligible for Kindergarten and you would like them to continue in Prekindergarten, you must fill out a reapplication form. Please click here to download the reapplication form.
- Parents will be notified during the week of June 7-11 to let them know whether their child has been accepted or placed on a waitlist. Please see below to view the Criteria for Admission.
For more information about LPSD's Prekindergarten program,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for Pre-Kindergarten
Families can register online via the form below, or may download the Pre-Kindergarten Registration Form here and drop the registration form at the school or call the school to arrange a time to register.