Illness/Injuries at School
The Division recognizes the authority accorded parents/legal guardians of children. The Director therefore directs staff members to refrain from offering consent for medical treatment of students.
However, in cases of injury or illness which occur to students on school grounds, in the school, or on a site where a school-sponsored activity is being held, the Director expects the supervising teacher or principal to act as a responsible guardian and seek immediate treatment.
Emergency student transportation authorized by staff members is to be by the safest possible means. The Director, however, acknowledges in emergency situations, quick action may be critical to the health of the child.
- In case of emergency, where life may be threatened, the victim shall be immediately transported to a hospital by the safest and most expedient method possible.
- Where, in the opinion of the Principal or designate, transportation by ambulance is warranted, transportation shall be arranged immediately to the nearest medical facility.
- Where costs connected with ambulance transportation are not covered by private insurance, they will be assumed by the Division.
- Special protocols may be established in extenuating circumstances.
- Where, in the opinion of the Principal or designate, transportation by private vehicle is warranted, the Principal shall either provide transportation to the nearest medical facility or (time permitting) contact the parent to provide transportation.
- In cases of emergencies, a parent or the emergency contact of a student shall be notified immediately and asked to go to the hospital to assume responsibility for the student.
- Hospitals may require authorization before they will give treatment. No staff member shall sign authorizations under any condition under the authority of the Division.
- If a student has had a serious injury that is not immediately life threatening, consultation with a qualified/certified first aid individual or doctor is to occur prior to moving the student.
- In other injury or illness cases, the parent of a student is to be contacted and requested to take the student home.
- If there is no telephone or if the emergency contacts or parents cannot come to the school, a responsible person is to be contacted and requested to escort the student home.
- All accidents to students resulting in injury must be reported to the Principal as soon as there is evidence of such an accident. The Principal is to report this accident to the Superintendent of Administration on the prescribed form supplied by the Insurance Office and retain a duplicate in his/her file (Form 530-1).
- Injuries requiring treatment shall be reported to the Director or designate immediately by the Principal.
Section 85, 87, 108, 109, 175, 231 Education Act