Personnel and Employee Relations 406
Staff Leaves of Absence
The Director, or designate, may grant leave of absence to professional and non-teaching staff in accordance with existing legislation, employee agreements and these procedures.
- Requests for leave of absence may be granted if deemed just and sufficient. Whenever circumstances permit, this is to be on the basis of prior approval.
- All employees shall advise their immediate supervisor of a pending leave request and shall make such request in writing to the Superintendent of Human Resources.
- Leaves for teachers shall be granted in accordance with the L.I.N.C. Agreement negotiated from time to time between the Board and the teachers.
- Leaves for support staff shall be granted in accordance with the Support Staff Salary and Benefit Guide.
- When written requests for leave are made which are not covered by the provisions of the L.I.N.C. Agreement or Support Staff Salary and Benefit Guide, the Superintendent of Human Resources will exercise his or her discretion in disposing of the request, and may refer the request to the Board.
- Employees who believe that administrative decisions respecting leave requests were not in keeping with provincial statutes or regulations, or Board contracts or policies, may appeal such decisions to the Director.
- Extended Leaves of Absence:
- This type of leaves does not apply to any of the leaves covered in the L.I.N.C. Agreement between the Board and teachers employed in the Division.
- Employees of the Division shall discuss their intentions with the Director, or designate, before becoming involved in any activity which may result in extended periods of absence.
- Written requests for pending unpaid leaves of absence must be directed to the Director, or designate, no less than thirty (30) days prior to the start of the leave.
- Consideration for absences and conditions for absences shall be determined by the Director, or designate, in respect to:
- The length of allowable time;
- The nature of the leave of absence;
- The salary/substitute arrangement; and
- Any other matter that may be pertinent to the request for an extended leave of absence.
Section 85, 87, 108, 109 Education Act
Saskatchewan Employment Act