Personnel and Employee Relations 416
Support Staff Supplemental Employment Benefit Plan
In recognition that there will be a health related portion of every maternity leave during which a woman will be medically unfit for duty for health related reasons due to pregnancy, delivery or post-delivery, benefits for this period will be paid under the provisions of a Supplemental Employment Benefits Plan (SEB Plan).
- Eligibility Criteria
- An employee is eligible for SEB Plan benefits if she:
- Has a permanent support staff contract and has completed one full year of continuous service with Lloydminster Public School Division directly prior to the maternity leave;
- Is medically unfit for duty for health related reasons due to pregnancy, delivery or post-delivery;
- Is in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits; and
- Is on maternity leave.
- Duration of Benefits
- Each individual who is eligible for SEB Plan benefits is entitled to such benefits for a maximum of 9 weeks, commencing the estimated date of birth or the date of delivery, whichever is earlier.
- Application and Administration of SEB Plan
- The employee shall apply for SEB Plan benefits using Supplemental Employment Benefits Plan - Application. This form must be accompanied by a medical certificate indicating the estimated date of birth and notice from the employee of her intention to take a maternity leave.
- Applications should be submitted in a timely manner and no later than 30 days in advance of the due date.
- On delivery of the child, the employee shall submit to Human Resources Practitioner’s Report – Confirmation of Date of Delivery no later than 120 days following the birth of their child.
- Calculation and Payment of Benefits
- For the period of eligibility, Lloydminster Public School Division shall pay to the employee the amount required on a weekly basis to supplement the Employment Insurance benefit to 95% of her salary entitlement. The Calculation – SEB Plan Payment Form will be completed by the Finance Department.
- The weekly salary entitlement for 12 month employees shall be 1/52 of their annual rate of pay.
- The weekly salary entitlement for 10 month employees or school year employees shall be regularly scheduled hours of work in accordance with the school year operational calendar multiplied by the employee’s hourly rate of pay.
- Benefit payments shall be subject to the usual deductions as if the employee was actively working and as required by the respective benefit plan sponsors.
- SEB Plan payments will be identified separately in the payroll records.
Saskatchewan Employment Act