Personnel and Employee Relations 433
Support Staff Employee Benefit Plan
The Division will provide: life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, dental, health, and vision benefits to all eligible employees under contract to the Division who are not covered by the Teachers’ Collective Agreement. Division executive staff, casual employees, summer/seasonal staff and noon hour supervisors are exempted from this administrative procedure.
- Eligible employees covered by this procedure shall be entitled to life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, dental, health, and vision benefits in accordance with the following eligibility criteria.
- Benefit Eligibility
- Employee eligibility for benefits shall be in accordance with the criteria for qualification of the benefit plan contract.
- Coverage is effective on the first of the month following a full calendar month of employment.
- Employees who have benefits coverage through another group benefit plan may opt out of the LPSD coverage. If a plan members' alternative coverage is discontinued then the employee must apply for coverage through the LPSD plan. Employees are to contact the LPSD Plan Administrator for guidance on this process. Premiums will be effective on the date following the loss of coverage and may result in retro premium payments if not communicated immediately to the LPSD Plan Administrator
- Eligible employees participation in the benefits plan is a condition of employment.
- The employee and the Division shall share the cost for the benefits equally unless stated otherwise herein.
- Benefits, when paid, are taxable in accordance with federal and provincial income tax legislation.
- During a leave of absence, an employee may choose to continue the benefits they were participating in the day before the leave commenced for a maximum period of one year, except long-term disability benefits would not apply in the case of a personal leave (sabbatical, educational leave, etc.).
- A leave of absence longer than one year must have the prior approval of the insuring company for the continuation of benefits.
- Benefits taken during a leave of absence must be taken in whole, not part, and must cover the entire leave of absence period.
- Support staff employees on a leave of absence with pay shall continue to pay benefit costs in accordance with clause 4.
- Support staff employees on a leave of absence without pay shall pay 100% of the benefit cost. Employees are required to leave post-dated cheques in the required benefit cost amount with the Payroll Coordinator.
- A year shall be from September 1 to August 31.
Section 85, 87, 108, 109 Education Act
Saskatchewan Employment Act
Labour Standards Regulations 25, 26