Administrative Procedure 541
Names of Schools and Division Buildings
Naming/renaming a school, a portion of a school, or a school system facility is a matter that deserves thoughtful attention.
- The Director of Education shall initiate the formation of a Committee for the naming of a school or a portion of a school.
- The Committee may have representation from the community at large, Principals and Vice-Principals, the local teaching staff, parents/caregivers, and the students.
- The community at large may include representation from historical societies, senior citizens, or groups who may have an interest in being represented.
- Each representative group shall be limited to a maximum of two (2) members.
- The Committee shall determine the process that will be followed in soliciting input in the naming process.
- The names considered shall:
- Have significance for the students, parents/caregivers, and the community of the particular facility;
- Be easily identifiable with the facility;
- Not be in conflict with the names of other facilities in the system, or surrounding Divisions; and,
- Be appropriate in terms of copyright and trademark provisions.
- Where possible, new facilities shall be assigned names before construction begins.
- The Board of Education is responsible for approval of names of all Lloydminster Public School Division owned facilities.
Section 85, 87 Education Act, 1995
Section 38 The School Division Administration Regulation