Administrative Procedure 547
Community Use of Schools
The Division is prepared to make its school facilities available for educational, cultural or recreational use by organizations at times when the facilities are not required for school purposes.
School facilities are a community resource paid for, in part, by local taxpayers. As such, facilities are to be available for community groups to use. Application of this principle must be tempered by the fact that the primary purpose of school buildings is to serve the educational program needs of students. It must further be noted that a major responsibility of the Division is to provide and maintain school facilities for students. Other uses must be given a lower priority and cannot be permitted to interfere with or detract from the demands of regular educational programs.
Principals are responsible for applying this procedure regarding the community use of schools. Rental agreements, in keeping with the procedures which follow, are to be drafted for all instances when the school or grounds are to be used by non-school organizations.
- All groups or organizations must arrange for bookings with the Principal or designate of the school in question. Teachers or teachers’ organizations are included in this requirement unless the activity is a recognized part of the school program.
- Bookings must be for specific dates and times and should be made according to the following schedule:
- Bookings for January – March may be made after December 1;
- Bookings for April – June may be made after March 1;
- Bookings for September – December may be made after June 1.
- Regular weekly bookings are subject to cancellation for school-related events. However, bookings for special events, e.g. concerts or performances, must be honored and may not be displaced by school events.
- Bookings made on weekends or holidays, when there is no LPSD staff in the facility, will require special coordination with the user group, the school Principal and Division Office.
- Bookings made for personal functions by public are not recommended.
- It will be assumed that some bookings e.g. Regular league activities, will continue on a traditional schedule. Time blocks for such bookings will be reserved during the “booking” months cited in procedure 3 above (i.e. December, March, and June). If on-going bookings are not renewed in these “booking” months, dates and times will not be reserved and may be claimed by other groups. The onus to renew bookings rests with the renting group.
- Bookings involving use of facilities and/or grounds during school hours should be avoided.
- Rental fees, in keeping with rates approved from time to time by the Board, will be charged to all non school-related users. Exceptions to this fee schedule shall be at the discretion of the Director or designate.
- All non school-related user groups shall complete the rental agreement (Form 547-1) prior to the use of any division facility.
- All users shall ensure that they carry appropriate insurance coverage for the activity they are holding.
- It is recommended that recommended that the users maintain general liability insurance in an amount not less than $2 million.
- Users who do not have their own insurance coverage are required to purchase insurance through the SSBA Instant Risk Coverage program online through http://ssba.instantriskcoverage.com/.
- Users shall not be granted access to LPSD facilities until confirmation of insurance coverage is received by the school administration.
- Supervision of children or spectators must be provided by the renter and must be carried out by a responsible person(s) not engaged in the group’s activity. Rental of facilities may be denied if supervision is inadequate.
- If a given activity may prove harmful to the facilities, the request will be denied. Furthermore, if the activity has the potential to be a hazard to the health and welfare of the participants, a confirmed booking may be terminated at any time.
- Two-hour evening bookings may be made for 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. or for 8:30 to 10:30 p.m.. Three-hour evening bookings may be made for periods between 6:30 and 10:30 p.m.
- Situations not covered by these procedures can be dealt with by the Principal in consultation with the Director or designate (when possible).