Business Administration 550
Private Music Lessons in Schools
The Division is prepared to make its school facilities available for private music lessons for their students.
The Division acknowledges the beneficial effects attributed to learning music be it within the general music program, band program or private lessons. It also recognizes that supporting the delivery of music programming enhances the learning of students in both the short and long term. To that end the Division is prepared to make available space and opportunity within its organizational mandate.
Principals are responsible for applying this procedure regarding the use of school facilities for private music lessons. It is the Principal’s responsibility to ensure that the school’s requirements for space are the first priority and space for private music lessons will be made available only after the school’s organizational needs are met.
- Facilities will be made available only between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and in accordance with the school calendar for students. The facility will not be available outside these times, on holidays or weekends.
- All bookings must be made with the Principal or designate of each school.
- Bookings must be made for specific dates and times and only for students from within the designated school. Students from others schools within the Division may be considered only after times have been confirmed within each school.
- Bookings must be made by the Private Music instructor in communication with the Principal.
- All Private Music instructors must provide a Criminal Records Vulnerable Sector check to be maintained on file at the Lloydminster Public School Division main office.
- All arrangements for schedules and payment for instruction must be made between the parent, student and Private Music instructor. The Division or School will not be held liable for the quality, payment of lessons or promotion of the Private Music instructor.
- The Private Music instructor will provide a list of students receiving instruction and the schedule for when instruction will occur.
- All Private Music instructors must be registered and recommended by Friends of Performing Arts (FOPA) Lloydminster.
- In the event the School is not able to meet organizational requirements and space is no longer available, the Principal will provide at minimum two week notice of cancellation.
- Employees of the Division may provide private lessons, but these may occur only outside the instructional day with a 15-minute buffer before the start and 15 minutes after the end of the instructional day.
- Buildings and Equipment
- Rooms or space for private music lessons will be determined by the Principal based on the school’s organizational requirements and suitability for music lessons.
- Facilities will be made available at no charge to the student or Private Music instructor. It is expected however, that the Private Music instructor will volunteer or contribute to the host school’s music program. This could include but not be limited to, ensuring students engaged in private lessons perform for the student body, the Private Music instructor provide accompaniment or support of his/her area of expertise with school performances or other activities as agreed upon.
- The offering of private music lessons will be reviewed annually by the Division.
Section 85, 87, 163(3), 175 (1)(2e) Education Act 1995
Section 38, The School Division Administration Regulations
November 20, 2012