Personnel and Employee Relations 412
Re-Engagement of Superannuated Teachers
The Division may, at its sole discretion, re-engage teachers who resign for purposes of superannuation and who express an interest in continuing or resuming their employment as teachers.
- At the Division’s sole discretion, teachers who qualify for superannuation at the end of a school year may be re-engaged on a new contract for the upcoming school year, without a competition, subject to the teacher’s submission of a resignation dated for the end of the upcoming school year.
- At the Division’s sole discretion, teachers who qualify for superannuation prior to the end of a school year may be re-engaged on a new contract for the balance of the school year without a competition and subject to the teacher’s submission of a resignation dated for the end of that school year.
- Teachers (including school administrators or others who are engaged under teaching contracts) who wish to resign for purposes of superannuation and who wish to be re-engaged under a subsequent teaching contract with the Division, are to advise the Director, or designate, of such interest at least two months prior to their anticipated date of superannuation.
- The Director, or designate, will determine whether he or she wishes to extend a new contract subsequent to the resignation to the teacher. The Director, or designate, may choose to accept the teacher’s resignation and agree to offer a subsequent full-time continuing contract, a part-time continuing contract, a temporary contract or may choose not to re-engage the teacher. The Director, or designate, will communicate to the teacher who will then determine if he/she wishes to submit a written resignation.
- If the teacher chooses to submit his/her resignation in light of the Director’s, or designate’s, decision regarding future employment, the resignation will be handled expeditiously so that the teacher can process his/her application for pension in a timely manner. If a new contract is to be established, the Director, or designate, will execute it in keeping with the normal administrative practices of the Division.
- Teachers who are re-engaged as per this Administrative Procedure will not be eligible for the Early Notice of Retirement Gratuity as describe in AP 418.
Section 85, 87, 108, 109 Education Act