General Administration 131
The length of the school day shall be in accordance with legislation and pursuant to the procedures established by the Director.
- Normally, the school day shall be 345 minutes including recess periods which total not less than thirty minutes for elementary schools. For middle and senior high schools, period breaks may be established by the Principal in keeping with operational requirements.
- The Director may, subject to the approval of the Board, make application to the Minister to alter or extend in a school or schools by more than thirty minutes the school hours prescribed in Section 165 of the Education Act.
- Kindergarten students’ hours shall be determined by the Board and must be the equivalent of a minimum of eighty school days in order to qualify as a year of kindergarten education.
- In an emergency where health, welfare or safety of students may be involved, the Principal may dismiss school before the usual dismissal time and shall immediately notify the Director. Whenever possible, prior consultation may be advisable.
- When the Principal deems a change in school hours necessary, he/she shall make a request of the Director giving the reasons for the proposed change.
Section 87, 108, 109, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 175, Education Act
April 14, 2009