Administrative Procedure 132
Emergency Closure - Regular School
The Director of Education may close schools and/or arrange for the early dismissal of students in situations where the health, welfare, or safety of students is at risk.
In the event of early dismissal of bused students, every student shall be delivered safely to their parents/caregivers or satisfactorily housed elsewhere.
- School will be closed for students and staff if conditions are such that the students and staff
are at a health risk. Any of the following factors, or combinations of them, shall serve as
guides for considering school closure or early dismissal of students:
- Loss of power or heat;
- Inadequate water supply;
- Sewer back-up;
- Structural damage to the school building;
- Illness epidemic; and/or
- Other emergent situations.
- At the commencement of the school year, Principals shall inform parents/caregivers of the
- The current procedures on emergency closures; and,
- Advise the parents/caregivers that they need to make alternate accommodation arrangements for their children, in the event that if/when the school is closed or dismissed early.
- In the event of an emergency school closure or early dismissal, the Director of Education will:
- Arrange for the school bus drivers to be notified immediately; and
- Inform the larger community of the emergency school closure or early dismissal via social media, television, and radio stations.
- In the event of an emergency school closure or early dismissal, the Principal will:
- Consult with the Director of Education;
- Notify school personnel and other appropriate people of the decision to close the school or arrange for the early dismissal of students; and,
- In extreme emergency situations, exercise good judgment and decide and act on their own.
Section 85, 87, 175 Education Act, 1995
April 14, 2009