General Administration 183
Transportation: Suspension of In-City Busing
The Division believes that schools should remain open during extreme weather, however, in order to ensure the health and safety of students and school division personnel during periods of extreme weather conditions or other emergencies a decision may be made to suspend the operations of school buses.
- With approval of the Director of designate school bus service may be suspended or delayed by the Transportation Manager due to adverse weather, road conditions or any other emergent situation.
- School bus service will be suspended, when Environment Canada reports or forecasts a temperature of -45 degrees celsius (including wind chill) for 7:00 AM the following day.
- The Transportation Manager in consultation with the Director or designate shall make a decision regarding school bus suspension by 4:00 p.m. the previous day.
- If buses are suspended in the AM they will not run in the PM.
- Suspension of school bus service may be determined for:
- All routes, including Pre-K.
- A specific school ,
- A route-by-route basis.
- When regular school bus service has been suspended the Transportation Manager will notify schools that all field trips, extra-curriculars trips and PreK busing shall be suspended for that day. Any exceptions to this must be approved by the Director or designate.
- When weather or road conditions deteriorate during the day, the Transportation Manager in consultation with the Director or designate may authorize individual or all buses to leave school prior to regular dismissal time.
- A decision to suspend bus service shall be communicated to all bus drivers. The Transportation Manager will share the information with the Communications Manager and all school Principals. Parents will be notified via Bus Status (bus app notification). The Division will share any bus suspension with local radio stations and School Division Social Media Channels.
- The Principal, staff and school bus operators shall take steps to ensure students arrive home safely when they are dismissed earlier than normal. This includes attempts to contact parents, guardians and emergency contacts to ensure students have adequate access to residences.
- All daily route school bus drivers are to hold themselves in readiness for service on short notice during cases of pending extreme conditions.