Administrative Procedure 151
Lloydminster Public School Division recognizes the importance of our local media in informing the public about our schools, programs, initiatives, and board decisions. Through this administrative procedure we look to establish guidelines and protocols for managing media inquiries and interactions within Lloydminster Public School Division. Our goal is to ensure consistent and accurate communication with the media while safeguarding our schools from unwelcome intrusions and to protect the privacy and reputation of students, staff, and the school division as a whole.
- The Director or designate shall approve all information released to the media from the division.
- Representatives of the media may, on occasion, be permitted into schools for reporting and promotional purposes pertaining to the learning agenda. This is at the discretion of the Principal in consultation with the Office and Communications Manager.
- Media representatives shall not be allowed to disrupt the normal operation of a school or a class for the sole purpose of information gathering. This includes the interviewing of employees and/or students of Lloydminster Public School Division during regular class times.
- All requests outlined above shall be directed first to the division office for approval by the Office and Communications Manager.
- Media representatives may be asked by the Principal or any other staff member of Lloydminster Public School Division to leave the school building or grounds where it is deemed to be in the best interests of the students and staff to do so.
- The Saskatchewan Local Authority of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) must be followed in all instances whereby students are featured through publications, media coverage, video footage or on websites. Informed parent/guardian consent for LAFOIP Media Coverage is granted through the student registration form.
- In the event of emergency or crisis, the Director shall determine what information shall be given to the media, and by whom.
- If a member of the media approaches an employee of Lloydminster Public School Division for an interview or comments pertaining to their work with the division, the employee shall explain to the reporter that all media requests need to be made through the Office and Communications Manager. The Office and Communications Manager shall determine, in consultation with the Director, the most appropriate person to respond to the interview request.
Section 85, 175, Education Act, 1995
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Saskatoon Public Schools recognized as a source.