Administrative Procedure 168
Lloydminster Public School Division believes that the inclusion of Indigenous perspectives and the Indigenous knowledge is of benefit to all staff and students.
- Practices such as smudging, the pipe ceremonies, and the use of tobacco are part of Indigenous traditional ways and will be accommodated in appropriate designated spaces.
- Participation in smudging is always voluntary. Students and staff will never be forced or pressured to smudge. It is an individual’s choice to participate or to refrain in smudging.
- Outside of cultural teachings, smudging will be available in a designated place for students and staff who chose.
- Smudging will occur in consultation with the Principal, school staff, and may involve Elders or Knowledge Keepers.
- When smudging takes place, a staff member will be made aware.
- Parents/Caregivers will be notified at the start of the school year indicating that smudging will occur within the school. Parents/Caregivers may notify the school that they wish to have their child excluded from participation.
- Smudging is permitted within Lloydminster Public School Division facilities in an enclosed public space providing that:
- The space is adequately ventilated;
- The space is of sufficient size to accommodate the event and meets capacity and fire code regulations; and,
- Requests for smudging within Lloydminster Public School Division facilities, outside of regular school hours, requires the third party to inform the administration of that building.
Section 85, 87, The Education Act, 1995
Horizon School Division recognized as source.